10.29.13 – The Big Easy

29 Oct

Kyle and I enjoyed a little grown-up get-away to New Orleans the last five nights.  We of course missed our baby girl terribly as it was the longest stretch I have gone without being with her, but we enjoyed a lot of food, fun, and sleep! 🙂

Some words that come to mind when I think about our trip:

FOOD. sunshine. music. walking. artwork. shopping. friendly people. beautiful architecture. history. beignets. live oaks. ornate churches. seafood. po-boys. Bourbon Street. bars. smokers. hurricanes. Chris Gardner. pirates. costumes. street performers. Andrew Jackson. tours. trolleys. romeo spikes. lizards. cockroaches. soapy streets. and all kinds of kinds. 🙂

Here’s a recap:

Friday night: We got in around dinner time. After checking into the hotel, we headed down to Bourbon Street and were surprised by how early the party started. It is a pretty great place for people watching! Following some poor navigational leadership by Kyle (big surprise!), we finally found a hole-in-the-wall dinner spot called Killer Poboys. The sandwiches were quite unique and very tasty!

2013-10-25 18.12.51 2013-10-25 18.43.32

Saturday: We got up Saturday to some gorgeous cool and sunny weather. We headed to the famous Cafe Du Monde for some beignets and coffee. Talk about a genius business model! The beignets lived up to the hype and were delicious. You may have seen my reaction to the coffee on Facebook. I do not like coffee in general, and this bold stuff was definitely not my thing! After breakfast, we walked around the shops and French Market to check out some souvenir potentials as well as local artists. We then headed over to EAT NOLA where I had the most delicious chicken fried chicken I have ever tasted. Kyle enjoyed some Reese’s peanut butter pancakes, which were basically dessert. (Thanks, Lauren, for the recommendation!) We headed back to the hotel to get ready for Kyle’s induction for his CPCU designation. Chris Gardner (the man from The Pursuit of Happyness story/movie) was the keynote speaker. (Hence his name in the list above.) We then headed to Acme Oyster House for dinner based on another friend recommendation (Thanks, Malcolm!) and called it an early night to get some sleep for our photography tour the next morning.

Sunday: We ate breakfast at the hotel and headed to meet up the group for our French Quarter photography tour. Despite the fact I had an upset stomach almost immediately after breakfast, we enjoyed the tour very much. (Thank you, Bobbitts!) It was through American Photo Safari. The tour guide reviewed photography basics for the first half hour, which was review for me, but would be great if you were just starting to learn about your fancy new camera. She then lead us to different spots all over the French Quarter to show us unique ways to capture the New Orleans architecture and culture through photography. It was a lot of fun.

After the tour, we headed back to Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop (oldest bar in New Orleans and possibly the U.S.). I was feeling pretty poor at this point, but sat with Kyle while he had a drink. We started to walk back and then hitched a ride on one of the bike taxis (expensive but fun). I spent the rest of the afternoon getting sick and in bed. Not sure if it was bad food or a virus, but it was a major bummer. Kyle headed to his work dinner without me.


Monday: I woke up feeling mostly better. We headed to The Old Coffeepot Restaurant where we had some delicious french toast and pancakes in very nice atmosphere. We then took the trolley to City Park where we checked out the Sculpture Park, Botanical Garden, and Live Oak trees. We had lunch at Bud’s Broiler, which left something to be desired. Mostly my stomach wasn’t greasy food ready, but Kyle wasn’t a huge fan either. We headed back to rest up for our next tour.

We took a Strange True Tour in the French Quarter. We were the only ones on the tour. 🙂 It was entertaining for the most part – something in between a ghost tour and a history tour. We met our friend Andy (who is from the area and happened to be in town for a different conference) for dinner at Irene’s Cuisine. Andy got us to try some soft shell crab and cooked oysters, which were surprisingly very good. After dinner, Andy showed us some of the best spots to go on Bourbon Street – including a spot where the boys rode the bull. We stayed up way past our bedtime but had a great time catching up with him.

Tuesday: We had brunch at Court of Two Sisters based on Andy’s recommendation. You eat in a beautiful courtyard with live music and some delicious food. Afterwards we did a little souvenir shopping and took it easy the rest of the day. Had to get rested up for our return. AKA work on my photos/blog post. 😉

I feel like the blog got back to its roots with this post. We did feel like we were having one of our weekend adventures like back when we lived in Philly. But it wasn’t quite the same, because we couldn’t shake the feeling that something was missing. And we can’t wait to give that “missing something” a big hug and a kiss tomorrow afternoon! It definitely helped that her grandparents on both sides took such great care of her that I don’t think she missed us too much. She was having too much fun! (Thank you, Nana, Papa, Mimi, and Grandpa!!) It also helped that we got videos, photos, and FaceTiming. But I don’t think I’ve been so anxious for tomorrow to get here since the night before I got induced. Here’s hoping for on-time flights and little traffic! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: